Monday, September 12, 2011

The Kansas City Renaissance Festival

I had the great pleasure to attend the Kansas City Renaissance Festival this last weekend.  The KC Ren Fest has been a popular fall attraction for 35 years now in Bonner Springs, KS.  I remember going to the event when I was still in school and falling in love with the fantasy of it all.  Yesterday I heard a young fairgoer comment that it was like a combination of Hogwarts from the Harry Potter series combined with the fairy realm from Lord of the Rings!  I think any child could be drawn into this adventureland and have so much fun. 
Me, at the Kansas City Renaissance Festival with one of it's friendly characters 
I must admit, I still get a little awed every time I walk into the gates.  I try to visit the Ren Fest at least once every year.  It gives me great inspiration for my own art, seeing the displays of the various jewelery makers, glass artists, potters, dressmakers...the list goes on and on.  Everywhere you turn there is some fantastic character more than willing to converse, entertain or enlighten.  The costumes are truly amazing and works of art in themselves.  The people that come together to create the atmosphere and ambiance truly do a fantastic job.  It really does make you feel like you have stepped back in time, to a place where artists and performers are treasured and the real heart and soul of a community.  I would like to give a big thank you to everyone at the festival for making it a fun day that I look forward to every year.  Huzzah!

No comments:

Post a Comment