Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Etsian topics...

I utilize Etsy for my online jewelry store.  What is Etsy?  According to Etsy's website,
"Our mission is to enable people to make a living making things, and to reconnect makers with buyers.
Our vision is to build a new economy and present a better choice:
Buy, Sell, and Live Handmade."
What a great mission statement!  I love it because I love making things, and it gets to a point where you have enough of your own stuff you've made and need to send a little of it out into the world.  It's a great place to connect with other creative and artistic people that also like to make things, and those who like to search for vintage treasures that they save from the corners of people's basements and antique stores.  Some of the sellers on Etsy are dedicated to taking stuff that's no longer useful or needed and making something brand new and cool out of it.  Etsy is kind of a universe in itself.  You can get lost in Etsy and spend hours there. You can join a team and participate in discussions in forums.  You can just spend time window shopping and discovering new artist's work and reading about them and what inspires them.  The Etsy forums and blogs are full of useful and very helpful info for people that are just getting started, those that may need to work on improving their stores and even those that are just looking for a good story. 

One of my favorite things about Etsy is treasuries.  Treasuries are little member curated lists of things they find for sale on Etsy.  Once you get into making treasuries it can be almost addictive.  Treasuries are ranked according to "hotness" based on how many views they get, comments and clicks to the items listed on the treasury.  Really great treasuries can even be selected to make it on the front page of Etsy.  This is a coveted spot because it gives the listed items a whole audience of viewers, a great opportunity for your shop to be discovered by someone who loves what you are selling.  I have made several treasuries since joining Etsy. Some of them were team challenges from the team I belong to, It's a Madcap Life.  Our team captain, A'esha, comes up with great themes and challenges her team to create a treasury based on it.  Our team is also doing all team treasuries, treasury lists where every item listed is from a member of our team.  One of my favorite treasuries I've created so far was one of these.  Here's a link if you want to check it out and see what I am talking about:  Earth and Sky  
I've been fortunate enough to have some of my jewelry featured in other team members' treasuries.  I really appreciate it when I am included because it is one more chance for people to see my creations.  If the treasury is popular I have an opportunity for my jewelry design to make it to Etsy's front page. Here are the treasuries I've been included in so far. 
 Three Times Charmed necklace:  Spring Rhapsody treasury by sunsan
 Botswana Agate Swirl earrings:  project: APRIL treasury by sunsan
 Modern Love Affair earrings:  Subtle love treasury by elsahats
 Botswana Agate Swirl earrings:  Spring DESIRES...April WISHES... treasury by sunsan
 Mon Amie necklace and earrings set:  No hard feelings...Enjoy Summer is coming...have a coffee treasury by piscesandfishes
 Sugalite Candy earrings:  MOMENTS... treasury by sunsan

A great big THANK YOU to these Etsy sellers for featuring my jewelry in their treasuries.  If you click on the treasury names you can view them, and if you click on the maker's name you can visit their Etsy stores.  They all have lovely stores and are worth a visit.

This is my Etsy store:  greygirldesigns   I would love it if you would take a look and let me know what you think about my store, my jewelry or whatever!  Comments are much appreciated.


My Sugalite Candy earrings.


No comments:

Post a Comment